Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Cutting back on my responisbilities

For the past year, I've had three jobs. I am a mom, I work at a daycare, and I run a mommy group.  There was a time when I enjoyed all three, but lately it's all just been too much.  The daycare has become increasingly frustrating (more on that next week), and quite frankly the mommy group has become unbearable.  Do you know what it's like to try to organize 30 women and keep them all happy? I feel like the past several months have been nothing but listening to complaints, mediating fights, and putting up with just plain bitchiness.  Don't get me wrong, I love the moms in my group.  They are an amazing group of women.  However, when I signed up to run the mom's group, I didn't realize that I would become all of these women's mom.
So a week ago I made a fabulous decision.  I gave up my duties as mommy organizer.  I didn't leave the group.  I'm just no longer in charge.  I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to give up control, however I am very happy to say that I am fully embracing my duty-free role in the group. I have received countless emails and phone calls requesting help or answers to questions.  I haven't helped or replied to any.  And I am loving it! A great stress has been lifted from my life and I am finally starting to feel like I can breathe again.
This is the best week ever because rather than writing schedules, managing money, checking attendance, responding to emails, and listening to everyone else's problems, I sat on my couch and did nothing but watch episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  I am LOVING life.

1 comment:

  1. I find that would be my own personal hell, managing a large group of people. Dealing with all of the backstabbing bitchy people would clearly send me over the edge.

    Glad to know you're enjoying yourself, watching fabulous Buffy love :)

    ReplyDelete