Friday, October 8, 2010

And so it begins

Several weeks ago... wait I have to go further back than that. A little less than a year ago, I started a moms group. I had no idea how this group would change my life. As a new mom, I was desperate for friends.  It’s amazing how as soon as you have kids, so many of your former friends just disappear. Not that it was any one's fault but my own, it just happened.  I was no longer working, so my whole social strata just disappeared.  Luckily, the moms I found in my new group are fabulous.  In truth, when I started in the mommy group endeavor, I was scared.  I know what I had in my head for the typical stay-at-home mom, and I knew that I would have nothing in common with that woman. I love my kids, but they aren’t my whole world.  I wanted to find women that would be of that same mind.  I wanted to find women with whom I could have a drink or two (or three or four). I wanted to find women that would NEVER own a pair of “mom jeans.” I wanted to find women that could laugh with me rather than give me advice on how to fix it when Thomas yells obscenities due to mispronunciations of the word truck. In these women, I got better than I could have ever hoped for.

One of these amazing women writes a blog (Sara Plays House).  She is constantly trying to get others to write blogs as well.  I don’t think she understands that none of us will ever be able to be as awesome as she is. Actually, strike that.  Knowing Sara, she already knows it. Regardless, I balked at the idea of ever writing a blog.  This brings us to a few weeks ago...
 
My fabulous friends were throwing me a party on Saturday. I was getting my 2nd tattoo on Wednesday. One of my favorite cousins was coming for a whole week visit.  We had several awesome play dates planned for the kids.  My brother was turning 30. All sorts of fantastic things were happening.  So the week was dubbed "Best Week Ever." It is amazing how positive thinking can make or break you.  That week really was a fantastic week from start to finish.  Not that I didn't have my share of frustrations.  On one of the days, I ran out of gas on the way in to work, and while I was waiting for my superman to come save me, Iris had a total melt-down and Thomas threw up all over the back seat.  However, knowing it was the best week ever made me see the positive in it all.  My exact facebook post for the day: "Best week ever, day 3: Ran out of gas today which made me learn three things:  1. My gas gauge doesn't work (one more reason for a new car) 2. I work with the most amazing, understanding, and caring women! 3. I have an awesome husband that always bails me out of crazy situations. (ok, I already knew that last one, but it bears repeating!) It's incredible how great life is!!"

After, quite simply, the best birthday party anyone has ever thrown for me, I thought: why should I ever come down from this high? Seriously, I live a great life.  I’m not trying to sound like I’m bragging, but I am blessed with a fantastic life.  Yes, crap happens that is frustrating, hurtful, and sad, but if I had a giant life scale that weighed the good against the bad it would look like Chris Farley and Nicole Richie on a teeter-totter.  

So, between Sara nagging about a blog, and my realization that I should record all of this awesomeness, Jaime’s Best Week Ever was born.  Now you know why this week, and every week, will forever be my best week ever.  Because quite simply and very cliche, life is short.  I’m gonna enjoy it. 
 Sara, Me, Jessica
 You know it's a good party when twirling dresses are involved.

6 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm going to leave the first comment ever on Jaime's Best Week Ever! You totally owe me a beer.
    I'm glad you're going to record your awesomeness. Because there's a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay on starting a blog! I'm visiting because Sara told me to and I do what she says. :) Nice to "meet" you! Also, I'm completely impressed you started a moms group. I'll be becoming a SAHM in November and I'm completely intimidated! Wine will help me get through it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, I will bring you a beer next time I see you.

    Kate, Thanks for listening to Sara! Being a SAHM is great! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Just remember, wine and good friends are the best way to survive motherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No one's as awesome as Sara. Well, except me.

    Welcome to the blogging community :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's true. No one is as awesome as Sara. Thanks for the welcome!

    ReplyDelete